The possibility of a joint Columbia/Greene jail took a step forward Tuesday, December 5, when representatives from Columbia and Greene Counties met in Hudson to discuss specifics of the project. The Greene County group included Legislators Lawrence, Torgersen and Bulich, County Administrator Groden and County Attorney Kaplan, among others. The discussions raised a number of potential issues, including the need to expand and upgrade the existing facility in Hudson and the need for increased transportation for prisoners between Greene and Columbia. These were balanced by a number of benefits, including sharp cost reductions for Greene, an ongoing revenue stream for Columbia and the possibility of additional funding from Albany to support the shared facility. These and other issues need to be weighed against the alternative of building a new jail facility in Greene County, which would require a bond of approximately $45 million. Both sides agreed to refine their thinking in light of the meeting and reconvene once again before the holidays.
DONATE to the Greene County Democratic Committee:
Like Us On Facebook:
For Info About the County Jail – Go To
GCDC Photos on Flickr:
News & Events by Town
Upcoming GCDC EventsMay31Thu6:30 pm GCDC General Committee Meeting @ Gallagher'sGCDC General Committee Meeting @ Gallagher'sMay 31 @ 6:30 pm“Unofficial Convention” – TBDJun1FriJun28Thu7:00 pm GCDC Executive Committee Meeting @ Gallagher'sGCDC Executive Committee Meeting @ Gallagher'sJun 28 @ 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 10th • CD19 Candidate Forum ~ You will have the opportunity to ask your questions to each candidate!
- Aidan O’Connor Jr. Within Striking Distance in Special Election for NY State Assembly
- Want to Run for Local Office?
- CD19 Candidate Forum with Opportunity to Ask Your Questions ~ May 10th ~ 6-9pm
- Meeting about the Greene County Jail – Wednesday, May 2nd at 5pm – County Building Catskill, 4th Floor